Friday, August 13, 2010

#1 - it had to start somewhere.

I am you.

Well, to be more precise, I am just like you.

Wait, you thought you were unique? That you were the only one just like you?

Nope, we're all perfectly normal people with no cares in the world, living the dream, right?

Oh sure, people come in different colors, but I'm sure that you're not the only one that is the color you are. Similarly with gender, no matter what your physical makeup is, I'll bet that you have a match somewhere in the world. Sexuality? Please!

Of course, we do have differences, that's not the debate here.

We also share a key similarity, one that I think is often overlooked: we are all human beings.

We're not different species, incapable of crossbreeding, like cats and goldfish.

We are all people.

Unfortunately, even though we are all the same in the one key aspect that matters, we frequently allow our myriad differences and diversities to divide us into camps and categories.

I seek to break down the hateful barriers that separate us. We can be different, but still respectful of the differences. We don't need to agree on everything, but we can still respect the right of the other to believe as they so choose.

There is ALWAYS middle ground. Always.

Where can this middle ground be found?

In the fact that we are all human beings, cognitively capable (for the most part) of making choices regarding our behavior and actions towards others.

That is what I would like to tackle here: the choices we face as humans, and how these choices dictate our interactions with each other locally, nationally, and globally.

I would love to use this blog to engage you in dialog on these issues, if you would be so kind (or interested) as to participate?  I'll post thoughts from time to time, and then we can engage in dialog in the comments (that's the goal, at least).

One request (well, a bit stronger than a request, I suppose). Keep it civil. I'm all about exploring various angles and perspectives, but not at the expense of hurtful rhetoric being thrown around.

Sound good?

Ok, let's begin.

No comments: